Happy J Dilla Month Everyone!
To end the month of February with something special I recorded a dedication to one of the greatest music creators of all time, J Dilla. J Dilla created some of hip hop's most notable and memorable songs and has worked with some of the greatest people in the industry. Not to mention he inspired so many people including myself, to think outside of the box when it comes to this music thing and always create from your heart. His sound was impeccable. It had a raw, organic energy to it, which not many have mastered. Every February there are J Dilla celebrations through out the world, giving recognition to his musical prowess, so if you didn't know, now you know. Look it up and help celebrate one of the greatest musicians of all time.
As well, I am happy to say I have the homie Rev. Shines (producer and DJ of Life Savas) featured throughout this episode, reminiscing and sharing some stories about J Dilla. Shines is a phenomenal DJ and producer and to my surprise was J Dilla's acquaintance. He shares how this came to be and plenty more. Very stoked to have Shines on the program. Thank you Ryan! In addition, I will be playing all of the records I have picked up over the years, mostly samples Dilla rocked but a couple of his own tunes as well. I didn't get to share as much as I would of wanted but there is always next year.
On another note, in the last episode of NBR, I spoke on the racial injustice in our country and the businesses that flourish off of this sleaze-bag scheme, one being private prisons. I am happy to say that I have created a petition through moveon.org to put a stop to the privatization of prisons in Colorado. Colorado spends over $2 million of tax payer money on private prisons annually. Now I don't know about you but I would like to see my money go toward positive efforts in our state and help create a peaceful environment, instead of this stagnated, abysmal routine of keeping people down.
I have attached some links that have more information on private prisons and with good reasons for getting rid of them. As well, I attached the move on petition. Please sign the petition and share it with as many people as you can. Lets get these suckers out of our state. No one should benefit off of others misery. Remember private prisons = for profit prisons. It's a business.
Thank you to everyone who has been supporting NBR for the last three months, there is much more to come. I not only want to share music and childish humor with you, more so I believe these podcasts are a great platform to create change in our world and this petition is my first battle. I hope to see more of my peers taking the opportunity to make a difference in our communities and seising the chance to live a positive life. I have to constantly remind myself there are no rules to this.
Until next month, enjoy episode three. Many thanks and hugs to everyone spreading love and happiness every chance they get. Keep it moving and turn it up!
- Neon Brown
This Huffington Post article on private prisons gets right to the point. Read it here
This truth Out article tells at the story of bribed judges and a teenage girls worst nightmare. Read here
This Policy.Mic article details Colorado's $2 million taxpayer money submission to private prisons. Read it here
You can find the Putting A Stop to The Privatization Of Prisons In Colorado Petition Here
1. All Things Considered Theme song
2. Neon Brown Introduction
3. 10CC - The Worst Band In The World
4. Lee Fields - Problems
5. Lou Rawls - Season Of The Witch
6. Barney Kessel - The Look Of Love
7. Joe Pass - Giant Steps | Mountain - Long Red
8. Martha Reeves - Sweet Misery | Mountain - Long Red
9. Jay Dee - Fuck The Police
10. Bobby Caldwell - Open Your Eyes
11. Gentle Giant - Talybont
12. Rick Wakeman - Catherine Of Aragon
13. Larry Coryell - Herman Wright
14. Jan Hammer - Peaceful Sundown
15. Ahmad Jamal - Swahililand
16. Stan Gets - Saudade Vem Correndo | Howard Roberts - Dirty old Bossa Nova
17. Quincy Jones - Snow Creatures
18. Dick Hyman - Alfie | The Isley Brothers - Foot Steps In The Dark
19. The Undisputed Truth - Walk On By
20. Dionne Warwick - You're Gonna Need Me
21. Smokey robinson - A Legend In It's Own Time
22. The Supremes - The Wisdom Of Time
23. Jay Dilla - Doo Doo
24. Rev. Shines Story Part One
25. Mike Hankinson - Concerto In Minor
26. Caravan - A Very Smelly, Grubby Little Oik
27. Lauro Nyro - Once It Was Alright Now ( Farmer Joe )
28. Smokey Robinson - Much Better Off
29. Rev. Shines Story Part Two
30. King Crimson - Moonchild
31. The Singers Unlimited - Claire
32. The Weavers - Kisses Sweater Than Wine
33. Eddie Kendricks - My People
34. Africa - Light My Fire
35. Rick Wakeman - Montezuma's Revenge
36. J Dilla - Nothing Like This
37. Donald Byrd - Think Twice
38. The Moog Machine - Age Of Aquarius
39. Rev. Shines Story Part Three
40. The Roots - Dynamite!
Click the Image of J Dilla to Listen to the Podcast